Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Another Day of Work at BYU-Idaho

Wish I could begin to tell you about the wonderful experience I had today.

Every summer the university helps put on a luncheon for the approximately 500 construction crew who are working on the new auditorium building. It is our way of saying thanks to them for their work and service. Today was such a luncheon. But today was totally different. We were in the construction area which will house 10 basketball courts and have a track above it. It is a wonderful space. Although it is only cinderblock and concrete, there is a certain feel in it.

The university choir began the gathering by singing “How Firm a Foundation” then the prayer then “Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing.” Even without the acoustics being perfect, the sound was absolutely wonderful. The sound just resonated throughout the structure. You would have sworn it was the Tabernacle Choir.

Pres. Clark then made a few comments. He ask those in attendance to take note of some of the words of these songs. He quoted parts of the 2nd and 3rd verse of “How Firm a Foundation.” He talked about how in every situation, in sickness and in health, we can always call upon the Lord. Whatever our situation, whatever the circumstances, wherever we may be, the Lord will hear our prayers, answer them and uplift us. But in every situation, we need to remember where our blessings come from. He is truly the giver of blessings and peace in our life. (I hope you’ll take time to read the all of the words from both hymns.)

I felt as though the message was for me. I felt as though the Lord was calming my troubled heart and helping me know that He is in control. As I contemplate the thoughts of the lyrics, I know that I am loved by my Heavenly Father. I know that those on the other side of the veil are watching over us. I am so grateful for the testimony and love that I have for the gospel and for loving parents who taught me of His great atoning sacrifice for me.


HOW FIRM A FOUNDATION
2ND verse In ev'ry condition--in sickness, in health,
In poverty's vale or abounding in wealth,
At home or abroad, on the land or the sea
As thy days may demand, as thy days may demand,
As thy days may demand, so thy succor shall be.

3rd verse Fear not, I am with thee; oh, be not dismayed,
For I am thy God and will still give thee aid.
I'll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand,
Upheld by my righteous, upheld by my righteous,
Upheld by my righteous, omnipotent hand.

7th verse The soul that on Jesus hath leaned for repose
I will not, I cannot, desert to his foes;
That soul, though all hell should endeavor to shake,
I'll never, no never, no never forsake!

No comments:

Post a Comment