Thursday, October 22, 2015

Dad's Birthday

October 21was my dad’s birthday.  He would  have been 97 years old.  The day started when Scotty posted a memory of grandpa, the camper, and fishing.  That was the beginning of my thinking about him all day.  I remembered stories or things he use to do.  I remember well when he worked at City Floral and would we would go to the Skyline Drug Store.  He would treat us to a candy bar and drink then say, “don’t tell grandma.”  I don’t think it was like that all the time, just sometimes. 

I think about sitting on the front deck and visiting in the cool Idaho evenings.  He loved to see people walking or driving by.  Many of them would stop and visit with he and mom.

When I was about in 7th or 8th grade, my friends and I liked to tease him by saying that we would help him on with his coat.  When he put his arm through the sleeve hole, we would block it and not let his arm come through.  He would laugh and we would do it every time to him.  He was a very good sport.  

A couple of weeks before I was suppose to get married, dad came and picked me up and said, ‘come and deliver with me.’  I was always happy to be invited.  That’s when he sprung the question on me.  “Your mother talked to you about the sex thing, right?”  I said no and he just moved on and asked, “Do you have any questions.”  I didn’t realize till later that I didn’t know enough to ask questions.  I tried to do a better job with my kids but who knows.  Every generation get the sex discussion better and better.

I miss my dad every day and hope to be with him one day.  There are so many things I think he could still teach me.  I especially want to ask him about what it was like to meet his mom.  Since she died when he was two days old, I am sure it was quite a reunion.  I want he and my mom to be there and greet me and get me on my way. 

Meanwhile, there is a lot of work to do here at this time.  I am thrilled to be serving a mission with Craig. He is so patient with me.


No comments:

Post a Comment